Want to learn how to install Kodi on Fire Stick for the most seamless media streaming?
We wrote this article to help you accomplish exactly that. We’ll also explore why Kodi is so popular, how secure (or risky) Kodi is to use, and tips for shielding your multimedia streaming device activity.
Let’s dive in!
What is Kodi?
Kodi is an open-source, free multimedia player that was originally created in 2002. In software development parlance, ‘open-source’ means that the underlying software is not exclusive to the organization. The code is publicly accessible.
Kodi is highly customizable, making it a popular choice for people looking to combine their favorite downloads, music streaming, and other media into one single platform.
What is Amazon Fire Stick?
As one of the most popular streaming devices available, the Amazon Fire Stick is a remote-controlled HDMI drive that turns an average TV or monitor into a smart TV.
While the Amazon Fire Stick has its own operating system to let you easily access streaming content and games, the Kodi multimedia software raises it to the next level.
Is Kodi secure?
Kodi is only as secure as the media you interact with. Think of it this way: Kodi works by pulling media from many different sources. It’s a popular media tool because of its versatility. But the Kodi software does not provide any specific security tools or layers of user safety if the media you interact with is corrupted or from illegitimate sources.
Pulling from many unverified sources across the internet – even sources that have been previously reliable in communities or positive reviews from previous downloads greatly increases the risk of cyber threats. For example, a few years ago WIRED reported that certain downloaded video subtitles were found to carry malware that could take control of devices.
As a best cybersecurity practice: Kodi is a legal media tool that has been used to illegally download licensed videos, music, and more. The most secure way to use Kodi is by only purchasing, streaming, and downloading media directly from verified and legitimate sources you trust.
How to install Kodi on Fire Stick
The following guide will walk you through installing the Kodi app on your Fire Stick.
1. Open the Downloader app from your home screen or Apps screen.
2. Select the URL box on the Downloader Home screen, type in kodi.tv/download and then select the Go button.
3. Scroll down using the directional wheel at the top of your remote and then use your remote to move the red round cursor over the Android logo to select it.
4. Scroll down and select the 32BIT button as shown below:
5. Your download should start automatically, and then you should be prompted to install the Kodi app as shown below: (If you don’t see this screen, you need to select the install button in the Downloader app first)
Opening the Kodi Media Center app for the first time
6. Select Open as shown below:
7. Select Continue.
8. Choose the Allow button to give Kodi access to the media on your Fire Stick.
9. You can add any additional media from the Kodi home screen and use it as normal.
From here there are plenty of ways to connect your media. You can import any photo, video, files from your Fire Stick, external drives or cloud servers. You can also connect major streaming, music, and game apps.
You’ve finished installing Kodi on your Fire Stick and are ready to enjoy your digital home media center.
Use Kodi on Fire Stick with confidence
As we mentioned before, Kodi is a greater cyber security risk to those who use multiple untrusted sources. One way to protect your Kodi data while using Fire Stick is through a trusted VPN (virtual private network). This is a tool that shields your IP address and location data while encrypting your internet activity.
Try our Fire Stick VPN app today backed by our 30-day money-back guarantee.